We all have heard about the power of positive thinking during tough times or before a venture, that’s actually being optimistic. Believing without an iota of doubt that everything will be fine in the end.
But there are tough times and there are tougher and toughest times when we are failing despite our efforts and optimism.
But what does optimism do for us?
It helps us to remain positive when the worst is right there before us, to keep moving until the failure is clear and even when that happens, to bounce back and begin again.
In soccer, for example, the players enter the pitch with one thing in mind, and that is a victory. They focus on victory and are optimistic before and during the first half. Tension takes over when they begin to lose ground, yet at that point, they don’t give up hope.
Even to the last second of the 45 minutes of the second half when defeat already raised 5-0 to the losing team, the players keep playing even when the cheering of the fans has died down until the final whistle.
That’s the typical example being optimistic in the worst scenario.
But it’s hard to remain optimistic during hopeless tough times.
How can one remain optimistic when failing is among the option or when failure seems like the only option.
If you are faced with tough times,
- Think that it’s not permanent and it will soon give way to something good. Failure is not permanent. Defeat is not permanent and tough time isn’t. They all will pass and when they do, you’ll shine.
- Study the life of the successful people and you will find out that most times tough times come before life long success. Without tough times, there are no good times, without pain, there will be no gain, without defeat, there will be no victory. So learn from others success stories. It will help you to remain positive.
- If you also look around you, you might see other people passing through the same thing, so it’s no personalised to you. You’re not alone in the tough times. There are others passing through the same thing.
- Write positive statements about yourself, paste it on the wall where you’ll always see, read and think about them. My friend writes whatever good she wants to happen in her life like what she wants to achieve, be, have where she would like to visit – these are impossible things and places for her as a person but she writes them down, places them on the wall by her bedside and looks at them every time saying something positive to herself. It works for her, her life shows it works.
- Getting active can help us think positive. Exercise helps a lot. It helps to lift your spirit and keeps your moral high. Get active to kill those negative thoughts.
If you really want to remain optimistic during your worst times – suppress that bad guy called negativity, that pessimistic dialogue within you and replace them with lifting positive thoughts and you’re good.